Lagos State also called “EKO”, is The mega city of Nigeria. Although, it is the smallest state in the country geographically, Lagos remains the most populous and a major financial centre. With the governorship elections just a few days away, everyone is definitely looking forward to who wins as the 15th governor of the state would be elected.
In anticipation of this election, here are a few things to note:
1) The 2019 Lagos gubernatorial election will be conducted on March 9(was postponed from March 2nd) to choose the Governor of Lagos State.
2) The election will be held concurrently with various other national and state level elections. Incumbent APC Governor Akinwunmi Ambode lost to the APC flag bearer Babajide Sanwo-Olu at a direct primary election in October 2018 and hence ineligible to run for second term under APC. Babajide Sanwo-Olu will battle against Jimi Agbaje of the PDP who has run twice unsuccessfully as Lagos state governor and also against Babatunde Gbadamosi, a real estate manager and candidates of the ADP.
3) Since 1999, Lagos has been governed by APC candidates.
4) There are 8 aspirants for the position of the governor
5) He must be a citizen of Nigeria by birth
6) He must have attained the age of thirty-five years
As we anticipate and participate in the coming gubernatorial elections, let’s remember to stay safe and abstain from electoral malpractice.
#roadtoelections2019 – 1 day to gubernatorial